Dakota Quilt Company has offered long-arm quilting services since its doors opened. We continue to offer quality machine quilting to our customers and have a guaranteed two-week turnaround.
- Backing needs to be 8”-10” larger than quilt top
- Batting needs to be 8” -10” larger than quilt top
- Check to be sure that all seams are secure. You should stay stitch around your entire quilt to ensure seams do not pull apart
- Use one safety pin to mark the top of the quilt
- Remove all excess threads as well as pins, buttons and other embellishments
- The quilt top MUST lay flat. Measure your quilt top across the top, bottom, and at the center
- These three measurements should be the same. If not, there is a possibility that there will be puckers in your finished quilt.
- Quilt must be clean and free of any odors
- Quilt top and backing fabric must be completely pressed. All seams should be pressed flat.
- Backing must be square
- Quilt top and backing must be brought in as separate layers
- Batting must be purchased from Dakota Quilt Company. We reserve the right to refuse unfamiliar backing fabrics such as sheets or decorate fabrics and additional charges may apply
- If you prewashed the fabrics in your quilt top, it is highly recommended that you prewash your backing fabric also.
Longarm Quilting Charges:
All of our longarm quilting services are completed on a Gammill longarm machine. We will work with you to help you choose the design and quilting thread that will turn your quilt top into a treasured quilt.
The price of quilting your quilt is determined by several factors. The longarm quilting fee is based on the size of the quilt in square feet. For example, if your quilt measures 75” x 85”, then your quilt is 6375 square inches. Divide that number by 144 and you get 44.27 square feet. We charge $2.25 per square foot so your fee will be $99.61 plus the cost of batting and thread.
Due to variations in types of batting, we require that you purchase your batting from Dakota Quilt Company. There are many choices in fiber content – cotton, poly/cotton blends, bamboo or wool.
Loops & Hearts
Loops & Stars
Quilter’s Choice (some additional choices available upon request)
Batting – must be purchased from Dakota Quilt Company at current retail prices.
Thread – We use Signature solid or variegated thread. The charge is $5 – $7 per quilt, depending on the size of the quilt
Fullness and/or puckers within a quilt and its borders cannot be quilted out. We cannot guarantee that puckers and tucks won’t be sewn in. In some cases, excessive fullness in borders may result in the quilt corners not being square. The flatter your quilt top is, the better the finished quilt will be.
Please be aware that sewing machines, including longarm machines are mechanical devices. Although we do our utmost to insure perfect results every time, on very rare occasion mechanical problems can occur which may cause minor damage to a quilt top and/or backing.